Monday, April 24, 2006

Packing Up


PACKING UP

I started packing up today with agonizing pain
Pushing hunks of my life into boxes to be given away,
The bed now barren of sheets of warm, green flannel
A reminder of a perfect union
I started packing up today

I started packing up today – tears streaming down my face
Gathering the leavings of one so dear
Threadbare jeans and pocket tee-shirts with a hint of cologne
Sending signals to all of my senses of such great loss
I started packing up today

I started packing up today on knees made weak from anguish
Sorting through drawers where long-saved objects have lost whatever significance they may have had
“Important papers” saved that no longer seem important
Photographs of two joined as one showing innocent smiles and naivete of what was to come
I started packing up today

I started packing up today, devoid of joy or hope
Cleaning the last drawer, the last closet, the last of the lint under the bed
And then it was done
Death breaks the marriage bond and consumes the one who must stay behind.
I started packing up today.

4 comments:

marieJ' said...

Beautifully, beautiful!!

one of the widows

Robyn said...

Ouch! The heartache is pulpable and I think that that is carried by the repetition. Well done.

Cheers,
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles

Ger O'Rourke said...

Hello, this is a truly wonderful poem. All the best, Ger

Anonymous said...

Wow. Very powerful piece. Well done.