Tuesday, September 26, 2006

To Pick Up A Pencil


While having breakfast this morning, I sat with Danny's book in one hand and a sandwich in the other. I had bought a large purse several weeks ago that would easily carry my sketch book, a tin of 12 very nice colored pencils, 3 pencils for sketching, and Danny's book. I felt "ready" to draw and yet, I never did. I just read and reread and carried my supplies.

A lifelong opinion that an artist is born and not made is a difficult belief to dispell. It becomes the self-fulfilling prophecy. Having finished my breakfast, I pushed back the tray, closed the book and studied what was before me. Breakfast clutter? Why not? I opened my satchel and took out my spiral sketch pad and a pencil. Without further consideration, I began to sketch what I saw. My hand shook making my lines crooked, and all looked out of proportion, yet I continued. And then it was complete. While staring at my rendering, my 5-year-old granddaughter appeared at my table. "What'cha doin' Mamaw?" I turned the book around so that she could see. "Wow, Mamaw, you can draw food. I can't draw food, yet." My first critic - - a perky cutey - - who recognized what I had drawn and approved my sketch. What praise! I could have asked for no more.

9 comments:

Teri said...

Now I can see it and it is a wonderful start!! I love the remark from your grand. Arn't they just wonderful.

-Ysadora said...

I do hope that artists are made not drawn. I can't draw, which means that I probably wasn't born with the ability. Yet, I have an uncanny nack for design and creativity. No need for drawing. Of course it may prove useful in the future, but I can make that happen. My learning how to draw. For most people it really is the problem of "picking up the pencil".

Some people like you have already passed the hard part of starting it. Good job!

suzanne cabrera said...

Your granddaughter is right...you did good. Best of luck as your journey continues. I can tell from your writing you are an artist. This new creative outlet will come easier than you think.

Anonymous said...

Terrific! It's so good to see you posting your work! Isn't it fun? And it's true what they say - the more you draw the better you get. Well done!

Alison said...

well done to START - it does take courage.Now you can put your various supplies through their paces

littlemithi said...

Jeanne, this is wonderful! Well done for getting started. Maybe next time you and your grandaughter can do drawings together...

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Great start and how fun to have a young art critic at your side. She, too, can draw food.

Anonymous said...

You are courageous to finally put something on paper. Nice job. Children are so honest aren't they?

Laurel Neustadter said...

Congratulations on starting to draw! It is very enjoyable. Young children are so loving and kind. My son tells me how awesome my art is--I appreciate his encouragement, even if it is from an 8 year old!